To physically locate hard drives in the chassis while using FreeNAS OS.
- FreeNAS installed
- Storage hard drives installed in chassis.
- To locate a drive within our system for any reason such as sector errors, failures and replacements, you would start with retrieving the serial number of the drive in question. For this example, we will use da5 with a serial number of ZA2AD35R.
- Next I would go to the shell or a SSH session as we will be using the following commands:
sas3ircu (#) display | less
The (#) will be which controller you want to look at. For example, a Q30 model would have two controllers (one controller per row) and would be labeled controller 0 & 1. (3 for the S45, 4 for the XL60).
- The “| less “ will allow you have the output start at the beginning of the message so you can scroll through the drives connected.
- As I scroll down, I see the matching serial number which states it’s in slot “5”.
- So where the commands tell us the drive is located on controller 0, slot 5, that translates to the physical slot 1-6.
- If your drives have the serial numbers labeled on top of the drives, you can confirm without removing it from the system.