KB045246 - Ceph Cluster Initial Network Configuration
Posted on October 21, 2020 by Brett Kelly
Ceph Cluster Initial Network Configuration
This article will explain the steps to begin configuring the network for a new Ceph cluster. It will explain how to properly cable each storage node and gateway system for best practices.
- A 5 node cluster with 2 filesystem gateways will be used as an example
- 2 networks will be used, a cluster and a public network.
- Built on 10Gigabit architecture
- Read this article on Ceph Recommended Network Configuration/
- Access to the physical hardware you will be configuring
- Access to IPMI remote management:
- Create a network wiring diagram or schematic illustrating the end goal of the network configuration. This can be a simple sketch.
- Cable systems according to the diagram below. the 1G management network is NOT a requirement
- Ensure proper cabling to the switch/switches. Configuration could contain a single switch for public and cluster network (Switch VLAN Required) or a switch for each network. High Availability network switches can also be configured.
- Once cabling is complete ensure all cables are connected and link lights are on.
- Login to the shell via IPMI to begin configuring the network
- Ensure all interfaces plugged in are connected and "UP"
- It is important to determine the correct interface for the specified port this can be completed my mac address, however typically the top interface ends in a "0" and the bottom interface ends in a "1" This will allow to determine what interfaces should be with what bond.
- Configure Network Bonds: KB Article: http://knowledgebase.45drives.com/kb/kb450130-single-server-linux-network-bonding-setup/
- Recommended bonding protocols:
- LACP -switch support required
- Active-Backup - switch support not required
- Adaptive-Load Balancing - switch support not required
- Verify that every system can ping each other on both the public AND private network WITHOUT any packet loss. EXAMPLE:
- Check that all interfaces are UP in the bond with ip a
- Verify that all link lights are no
- Verify interfaces are at the correct speed
- Check physical connections
- Check bond configuration for errors
- Verify that the default gateway set for public network